NAC Creative Writing '14
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I learned about Myths: (Kathy's paper)

2 posters

Go down

What I learned about Myths: (Kathy's paper) Empty What I learned about Myths: (Kathy's paper)

Post by Oops! a.k.a Kathy -.- Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 pm

Btw Gerson, I was almost done,but Gabriel and Vianey had to ruin everything. By erasing it. So I'm starting over, I don't remember what i wrote so I'm trying my best to improvise:
History is about passing on stories from one generation towards another. It's how we spread traditions from one person to the next. And even if they're told from all around the world, they're all the same stories. All the myths, bedtime stories, and fairy tales, they're all the same yet told by different people in a variety of ways. For example the myth about La Llorona. There are so many ways of telling this story, and after so many years there's been a few changes. Everyone has their own version of the same stories.
The story that I know about La Llorona is that she was a young beautiful women but her boyfriend had left her with 3 children. When she finally found a man whom she fell in love with. He claimed to love her as well but said he would not raise children that weren't his,therefore they could never be together. Once home, she tied up her children and drowned them in the river that was next to her house. Since she lived in a forest it was easier to dispose of the bodies there in the river. So after she had killed her children she went to look for the guy. But shortly after finding out she had killed her children, he still didn't want to be with her. And so she chased the river in order to find her children. So it is said that when she finds a child wandering alone by the river, she takes them with her and offers them to God so that she can once again be united with her children. But because she can't find children that look like hers, she weeps and weeps. And calls their names in hope for them to hear her and go back to her.
This myth was told in order to keep children away from the river after dusk. The same as the Qallupilluk myth. They were both told in order to keep you away from something dangerous. I remember a myth my mum told me in order to make sure I went to sleep. When I was younger she would always tell me that after 3 a.m all the demons are released and are allowed to roam around and get anyone they see because God doesn't want us to be up after 12. And so as punishment for those doing bad things at that time, he lets all the demons roam around freely. So I remember waking up at 3:45 am sometimes and just staying in bed as quiet as possibly until I could fall asleep again in order for them not to take me. Of course it's different for a lot of people. Because perhaps you grew up with the story of a monster under your bed, or a monster in your closet. For me, the whole air was infested with monsters whom at the time were demons because she always tried to put religion into my life.
Either way, even myths couldn't keep me from growing up and doing all the things she said not to. She always said that the story she told me was made because kids didn't want to go to sleep when they were told. And because she was raised in a religious perspective, we had to learn to fear God. So this myth helped us know that if God could control the devil and all his demons, he could control us as well and he let our parents have that control over us. So we had to obey them in whatever they said. I remember a few other stories that my aunts and my mum would use in order to stop me from doing things I wasn't suppose to. Like she once told me that a story about a girl who was kidnapped by the devil, it goes as so. One day, it was a religious holiday, I can't remember which one it was. But the mother told her daughter to stay home and pray because this was a holy day. The girl wasn't to go clubbing and so she left. She was drinking and dancing and having a good time until a very attractive young man asked if he could dance with her. Flattered, she accepted. They danced and talked for hours until she started to feel a bit dizzy and she looked at the floor and saw that he had the legs of a goat and the feet of a chicken. After she screamed he took her and ran away and no one ever heard of the girl again.
Once again there is a religious background to this story and that is for us to respect sacred days that have to do with God. Like I said, my childhood revolved around religion. Myths and religious stories are all created for a purpose. Some might take us longer to figure out the meaning behind it but overall the whole point is to prevent us from doing things we're not suppose to. Or to keep us doing what our parents want us to do. Maybe even just for fear or fun. In the end though, these stories will all be passed down no matter how small, they leave the biggest impact. Sometimes even a question can change so many lives. . .
Oops! a.k.a Kathy -.-
Oops! a.k.a Kathy -.-

Back to top Go down

What I learned about Myths: (Kathy's paper) Empty Re: What I learned about Myths: (Kathy's paper)

Post by tomlinsam_ Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:21 pm

W o w K a y n. Y o u r e a l l y' v e o u t d o n e y o u r s e l f xD I l i k e h o w y o u i n c l u d e d t h e Q u e s t i o n t h o u g h <3 #lln
tomlinsam_
tomlinsam_

Back to top Go down